XML is definitly one of those emotional issues in the tech world! Those who grok it don't understand why those who don't love it won't use it everywhere. And those who dislike it can't see the benefits often of XML because of their bad experiences.

I know I just spent a week mucking around with an application where I couldn't start it up because of XML validation errors. Errors generated not because the XML was wrong, but because the validation process was borked up. It led me down a rat hole of frustration chasing Schemas and DTDs and validating parsers... I think that frustration is part of what has pushed people to embrace JSON, YML, and other approaches for encoding data.

The biggest thing I love about Solr is "it just works...". It's simple. It's powerful. You don't have to commit months to understanding it. And yet if you want to do advanced things then Solr is fairly forgiving of that, and gives you the hooks/plugins to do it.

Is this the opportunity of having more then one XML output type? I mean, XML is meant to be a transport medium for data, and maybe moving from a "one true XML output" for Solr to being able to support multiple outputs dependent on the consumer would be useful. I can see it making it easier to plug Solr into environments that expect data in certain formats, without doing an extra XSL transformation?

Eric