: ...unless things have changed since hte last time i looked, all of the
: "out of the box" response writers call "toString()" on any object they
: don't understand.  So the best way to move forward in a flexible manner
: seems like it would be to add a new "GeoPoint" object to Solr, which
: toStrings to a simple "-34.56,67.89" for use by existing response writers
: as a string, but some newer smarter response writer could output it in
: some more sophisticated manner.

The caveat to that, now that i've skimmed SOLR-1586, is that it currently
only applies to objects "added" to the SolrQueryResponse (or one of hte
containers in it) datastructure that the ResponseWriter's "walk"
themselves ... because of the back-ass-wards way we have FieldTypes write
their values directly to an XMLWriter or a TextWriter the idea of using an
object that stringifies itself as needed doesn't really apply very well
... and it won't unless we switch all of the ResponseWRiters to follow the
BinaryResponseWriter model of using FieldType.toObject(...) to get the
field value as an "obejct" that can be sent over the wire -- then the
existing XmlResponseWriter, and the Text ResponseWriters, can call
toString() on Objects they doesn't understand, and some
newer/hipper/cooler response writers that understand georss can do fancier
things with it.

-Hoss