Hi Solr-dev,

I've had a good look 'round for this functionality/patches etc., and I couldn't
find anything. Before delving deeper into the possibilities, I thought I'd put
this rfe to the experts for comments/'been there, done that' etc...:

Requirement:

To add the ability to tag indexed field values (a.o.t fields), regardless of
the field they may show up in. Then have the ability to query on this tag, and
all documents where the tag evaluates to a match are returned.

An example:

Let's say things are configured to tag specific email addresses that end in
@salesoffice.co.uk. (e.g. match on *...@salesoffice.co.uk) with a tag called
'UKSalesEmail'.

During indexing, whenever such a value is encountered, it is associated with
this tag (probably added to a table with async persistence or similar).

A user can then perform a search something like q:*:*&tag=UKSalesEmail, which
proceeds to return all documents that match *...@salesoffice.co.uk.

This might be thought of as 'synonyms for values'.

The above example is pretty simple, but such a feature becomes useful with the
ability to support one-to-many/many-to-many values - e.g. 'UKSalesEmail' might
instead evaluate to a list of 50 sales employee's specific email addresses,
rather than a simple wildcard (the list would likely change over time as
employees are hired/sacked; the query user probably wouldn't know all the
names, and certainly wouldn't want to type them all in). Similarly,
'f...@salesoffice.co.uk' might be associated with a number of different tags
(e.g. 'UKSalesOffice', 'UKEmployee', 'BigCorporateBehemoth',
'HighRiskEmployee', 'DrinksOnFridayTeam' etc.).

Does Solr possess such functionality at the moment, or is there a [planned]
patch for this sort of thing?

If not, does the community have any thoughts on an enhancement along these
lines?

Many thanks,

Peter

Send us your Hotmail stories and be featured in our newsletter
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/