Just to comment on my own post...

I don't believe index-time will be involved in this sort of functionality, as
there's no way to know at index-time what 'tag groups' a given term will be in
at any given time.

This leads me to believe that a query request parser plugin approach might be
best. Something that can receive queries when the relevant keyword is present
(e.g. tag=blah) and translate the parameters into their current tag member
equivalvents.

Such a plugin would monitor a file (say, solr/conf/tags.conf) for changes, and
reload its member table if/when the tag members change.

Peter

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/