Hmmm... may be I am completely wrong but let's take JBoss. It ships products
based on community driven projects but I am not aware of the fact that they
would try to affect community wrt to numbering or repositories merges. It is
up to JBoss developers and testers to deal with this "complexity" and
deliver commercial product and explain customers what is in.

Just my 2 cents (probably not related to this discussion at all - I hope).
Lukas