On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Chris Hostetter
<hossman_luc...@fucit.org> wrote:

> My key point being: Version numbers should communicate the
> significance in change to the *user* of the product, and the users of
> Solr are differnet then the users of Lucene-Java, so even if the releases
> happen in lock step, that doesn't mean the verion numbers should be in
> lock step.

As you stated modules were important to think about for svn location,
then it would only make sense that they are important to think about
for release numbering, too.

So lets say we spin off a lucene-analyzers module, it should be 3.1,
too, as its already a "module" to some degree, and having a
lucene-analyzers-1.0.jar would be downright misleading.

So from this perspective of modules, with solr being a module
alongside lucene, 3.1 makes a lot of sense, and it also makes sense to
try to release things together if possible so that users aren't
confused.

--
Robert Muir
rcm...@gmail.com