As far as I understand, I can put multiple doc types in the same
index, for example, web pages, images, products, etc. In order
to do so, I think I need to do the following:

- have a doctype field (not necessary but nice to have)
- add all possible fields of all doc types in schema
- when querying for a particular doc type, make sure to either
  specify the doctype field, or use fields that are only
  available in that doc type.

This is based on my understanding that solr/lucene does not
have the concept of document type. It only sees fields.

Is my understanding correct?

It seems a bit unclean to mix fields of all document types
in the same schema though. Or, is there a way to allow multiple
document types in the schema, and specify what type to use
when indexing and searching?

--
Best regards,
Jack