Thanks a lot for replying Yonik! I am running solr on a windows 2003 server
(standard version). intel Xeon CPU 3.00GHz, with 4.00 GB RAM.The index is
locate on Raid5 with 2 million documents. Is there any way to improve query
performance without moving to more powerful computer? I understand that the
query performances of phrase query ("auto repair") has to do with the number of
documents containing the two words. In fact the number of documents that have
auto and repair are about 100000. It is like 5% of the documents containing
auto and repair.  It seems to me 937 ms is too slower. Would it be faster if I
run solr on linux system? If it is then how much faster it would be generally?
My performance target for this kind of phrase query is a quarter of a second or
so. Any advice on how to achieve this on the above hardware if possible?

Thanks a lot Haishan

> Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:09:21 -0400> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
> solr-user@lucene.apache.org> Subject: Re: phrase query performance> > The
> differences lie in Lucene.> Instead of thinking of phrase queries as slow,
> think of term queries as fast :-)> Phrase queries need to read and consider
> position information that> term queries do not.> > -Yonik> > On 10/26/07,
> Haishan Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:> > I am a new Solr user and wonder if
> anyone can help me these questions. I used Solr to index about two million
> documents and query on it using standard request handler. I disabled all
> cache. I found phrase query was substantially slower than the usual query.
> The statistic I collected is as following. I was doing the query on the one
> field only. content:(auto repair) 47 ms repeatablecontent:("auto repair") 937
> ms repeatablecontent:("auto repair"~10000) 766 ms repeatable What are the
> factors affecting phrase query performance? How come the phrase query
> content:("auto repair") is almost 20 times slower than content:(auto repair)?
> I also notice a the phrase query with a slop is always faster than the one
> without a slop. Is the difference I observe here a performance problem of
> Lucene or Solr?> >> > It will be appreciated if anyone can help
Windows Live Hotmail and Microsoft Office Outlook – together at last.  Get it
now.