What you haven't told us is what you mean by "modify the
index outside Solr". SolrJ? Using raw Lucene? Trying to modify
things by writing your own codec? Standard Java I/O operations?
Other?

You could use SolrJ to connect to an existing Solr server and
both read and modify at will form your M/R jobs. But if you're
thinking of trying to write/modify the segment files by raw I/O
operations, good luck! I'm 99.99% certain that's going to cause
you endless grief.

Best,
Erick