There are two approaches that work:
1> (preferred IMO) is to debug through the Junit test cases. It's far
easier than remote debugging usually, with quicker turnaround times.

2> Set up remote debugging, see:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToConfigureEclipse which is linked from
the "how to contribute" page here:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute#Eclipse

As to where to set your first breakpoint, I have no clue. You haven't
told us a thing about what you're trying to accomplish, so "somewhere
in the code" is about the best I can say ;).

Best
Erick