It's doing exactly what you tell it to:

java -Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,address=7666
-jar start.jar

Specifically suspend=y' means it will sit there, very patiently, until
you connect to it with a debugger and tell it to go. This is _very_
useful to debug initialization errors, but can sometimes be a bit
puzzling.

I'd recommend you actually attach with the debugger (i.e. a "remote"
session). In IntelliJ, (I'm sure there are analogous ways in Eclipse),
you create, quite literally, a "remote session" that you give the URL
of the server you started above and the port. You start your server as
above and then start your remote session in your IDE and you'll be in
the debugger, attached to the running Solr instance. You can set
breakpoints or just hit the "go" button and the server should start
up. My setup usually just has "localhost" and 7666 for the URL/port.

You do not have to attach a debugger first, just specify 'suspend=n'
instead. But starting with 'suspend=y' insures you have actually
attached to the server and have all the parts in place.

Best,
Erick