1>
Hmmm, you _should_ have some line like:
<requestHandler name="/select" class="solr.SearchHandler">
in solrconfig.xml, otherwise the url you posted has no
destination.

http://localhost:8983/solr/bm/select
implies that there's a request handler to, well, handle it so I'm
puzzled.

When you _do_ find the request handler, there should be a line like
this:
<str name="df">text</str>

that defines the default text field. It's vaguely possible that you
have something like:
<defaultSearchField>text</defaultSearchField>
in your schema.xml file, which would mean you copied stuff from
an old Solr (pre 3.6) schema file.

If you don't find any of those, please post your solrconfig.xml file
and we can look for it...

2> I'm getting mixed up by the term "exclude" ;).

If you want to have both Dutch and English stopwords removed, you
can, of course, put them in the same stopwords file.

If you mean that you want to remove different stopwords in different
languages, you need to define two field types and thus two fields.

3a> stopwords at both index and query time will do this.

3b> First, you need to stop using the fq parameter and move it to the
q parameter, as
q=title:(the royal garden)

That should move things more like you wish. Using boosts can also help.
But, don't get too hung up on exact ordering. For small numbers of documents
and short fields, the tf/idf calculations can lose the ranking because of
essentially rounding errors.

You can also use a boost query that is a phrase. By that I mean
something adding
OR title:"The Royal Garden"^100

That would tend to force anything with the exact sequence of words
"The Royal Garden" way up in the list. If stopwords are removed
in your fieldType, this is equivalent to "Royal Garden"^100, you don't
have to do anything special.

edismax has a way to do this via configuration.

Hope this helps,
Erick