bq: But with my new query, could I just remove the defType=lucene parameter and
the wildcard right

Well, It Depends (tm). You can specify the query parser as part of
the requestHandler and, indeed, leave it off the query.

As far as the wildcard goes, it also depends. You'll change the semantics
of the search for sure, which may be A Good Thing. Without knowing
_why_ the wildcard is put there it's hard to say.

In general, it's usually better to concentrate on the analysis
chain than make up for faulty analysis with wildcards. For instance,
let's claim you want to search for "run" and match docs that have
"runs", "runner" or "running" in a field. One way of doing this is to
just search for "run*". A better way is to include an aggressive stemmer
in the fieldType that reduces "running", "runs" and "runner" to "run" at
both query and index time. Now, searching for any of "run", "runner",
"running", "runs" will match any of "run", "runs", "running" or "runner".

And wildcards _also_ stop scoring from happening, so with techniques
like the above you also get better relevance scoring.

Best,
Erick