>  I can
> manually create an httpclient and set up authentication but then I can't use
> solrj.

Yes; correct; except that you _can_ use solj with this custom HttpClient
instance (which will intercept authentication, which will support cookies, SSL
or plain HTTP, Keep-Alive, and etc.)

You can provide to SolrJ custom HttpClient at construction:

                    final HttpSolrServer myHttpSolrServer =
                            new HttpSolrServer(
                                    SOLR_URL_BASE + "/" + SOLR_CORE_NAME,
                                    myHttpClient);