I had seen where I could pass in an HttpClient to the SolrServer.  The
problem is that the HttpClient only receives the authentication information
through the execute method using the context. See the example located here.

https://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-4.3.x/tutorial/html/authentication.html

DefaultHttpClient has methods to set the authentication information but the
class is deprecated.

Thanks.