I've been working with Oracle employees to find better GC tuning
options.  The results are good enough to share with the community:

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ShawnHeisey#GC_Tuning

With the latest Java 7 or Java 8 version, and a couple of tuning
options, G1GC has grown up enough to be a viable choice.  Two of the
settings on that list were critical for making the performance
acceptable with my testing: ParallelRefProcEnabled and G1HeapRegionSize.

I've included some notes on the wiki about how you can size the G1 heap
regions appropriately for your own index.

Thanks,
Shawn