Matt -

That is true about the recommendation; use bin/solr to start and stop Solr and
consider it a black box service in that manner.  We’re getting out of the
business of supporting other containers and reigning it in like this.

Underneath there currently is still a .war web app (which may change in future
releases), so technically it will still work with Tomcat but “don’t do that” is
what you’ll hear here.

        Erik