From: Shawn Heisey [mailto:apa...@elyograg.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 10:05 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Solr on Tomcat

On 2/10/2015 9:48 AM, Matt Kuiper wrote:
> I am starting to look in to Solr 5.0.  I have been running Solr 4.* on
> Tomcat.   I was surprised to find the following notice on
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Running+Solr+on+Tomcat
> (Marked as Unreleased)
>
>      Beginning with Solr 5.0, Support for deploying Solr as a WAR in servlet
> containers like Tomcat is no longer supported.
>
> I want to verify that it is true that Solr 5.0 will not be able to run on
> Tomcat, and confirm that the recommended way to deploy Solr 5.0 is as a Linux
> service.

Solr will eventually (hopefully soon) be entirely its own application.
The documentation you have seen in the reference guide is there to prepare
users for this eventuality.

Right now we are in a transition period.  We have built scripts for controlling
the start and stop of the example server installation.
Under the covers, Solr is still a web application contained in a war and the
example server still runs an unmodified copy of jetty.  Down the road, when
Solr will becomes a completely standalone application, we will merely have to
modify the script wrapper to use it, and the user may not even notice the
change.

With 5.0, if you want to run in tomcat, you will be able to find the war in the
download's server/webapps directory and use it just like you do now ... but we
will be encouraging people to NOT do this, because eventually it will be
completely unsupported.

Thanks,
Shawn