As an application developer, I have to agree with this direction.   I ran
ManifoldCF and Solr together in the same Tomcat, and the sl4j
configurations of the two conflicted with strange results.   From a systems
administrator/operations perspective, a separate install allows better
packaging, e.g. Debian and RPM packages are then possible, although may not
be preferred as many enterprises will want to use Oracle Java rather than
OpenJDK.