I believe currently issuing another query will be necessary to get the
count of the expanded result set.

I think it does make sense to include this information as part of the
ExpandComponent output. So feel free to create a jira ticket for this and
we should be able to get this into a future release.

Joel Bernstein
http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/