Maybe you should first disclose the nature of the business problem you are
trying to solve.

To be clear, patterns and wildcards are string processing operations, not
numeric operations. Usually one searches for ranges of numeric values. So,
again, what operation are you really trying to perform that is causing you
to resert to pattern matching and wildcards? I can't wait to hear!

I mean, if you simply want to match one of a set of numbers that are not in
a consecutive range, try the OR operator.

-- Jack Krupansky