Essentially, we have a grid of data (i.e. frequencies, baud rates, data
rates, etc.) and we allow wildcard filtering on the various columns. As the
user provides input, in a specific column, we simply filter the overall data
by an implicit "starts with" query (i.e. 23 becomes 23*). In most cases,
yes, a range search would suffice until you get to those "contains" queries.
We are working with strings with the need to properly handle the decimal
place. I don't know the exact use case where the "contains" query comes into
play with the numerics but most likely it would have to do with "pattern"
matching (i.e. knowing a certain sequence where 2*3 might be helpful).

It's easy enough to normalize the user input and perform an OR search with
the wildcard. I'm just trying to find a way to index the data once that
allows me to handle the dot zero in both wildcard and regex searches. I
guess it would be nice to index the numeric as a string without dot zero and
when performing a search have the input hit against both the whole number
and dot zero.

Erick Erickson wrote
> You could simply inject "synonyms" without the .0 in the same field
> though.

Using a SynonymFilterFactory? If so, can this be done dynamically as I won't
know the "numeric" (I guess we can call them string) values.