No cleaner ways that spring to mind. Although you might get some
mileage out of normalizing
_everything_ rather than indexing different forms. Perhaps all numbers
are stored left-padded
with zeros to 16 places to the left of the decimal point and
right-padded 16 places to the right
of the decimal point. Which incidentally allows you to do range
queries and other numeric-type
comparisons.

<rant>
But I _really_ have to go back to one of my original questions: What's
the use-case? You've
outlined _how_ users would like to use regexes  and wildcards over
numeric data, but not _why_.
You've accepted as a given that "contains" are necessary. Before
investing any more time
and effort, please, please, please figure out whether this is just
something somebody threw
in and is valueless or whether it's actually something that would
provide value _to the end user_.

This is where I really have to dig in my heels and have the product
manager explain, in very
concrete terms, the _value_ the user gets out of this. Don't get me
wrong, there may be perfectly
valid reasons. Just make sure they're well thought out before
straining to provide functionality
that implements a half-baked use-case that nobody then uses. Is this
more valuable than not being
able to do any statistics like sum, average, etc?

When having this discussion, have the range queries in your back
pocket and see if anything
that the PM brings up can't be satisfied by numeric searches rather
than string searches. Maybe
even bring in a user and ask "is this useful?".

I've just spent too much of my life implementing useless features to
not question something
like this ;)

</rant>

Best,