Yes, of course, the only reason to have more shards is so that they
can reside on different machines (or use different disks, assuming you
have enough CPU/memory etc) so that you can scale your indexing
throughput. Move one of them to a different machine and measure the
performance.

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.