> ideally we should have a simple permission name called "all" (which we
> don't have)
>
> so that one rule should be enough
>
> "name":"all",
> "role":"somerole"
>
> Open a ticket and we should fix it for 5.4.0
> It should also include  the admin paths as well

Yes, that would be convenient.

I still don’t like the existing "open-by-default” security mode of Solr. It is
very fragile to mis-configuration without people noticing. Take the well-known
permission “read” for instance. It protects /select and /get. But it won’t
protect /query, /browse, /export, /spell, /suggest, /tvrh, /terms, /clustering
or /elevate, all which also expose sensitive info.

How about allowing to choose between three different security modes?

-Dsolr.security.mode=open          : As today - paths not configured are wide
open
-Dsolr.security.mode=authenticated : Paths not configured are open to any
authenticated user
-Dsolr.security.mode=explicit      : Paths not configured are closed to all.
All acccess is explicitly configured

/Jan