One technique that works well is to use copyField to end up with two indexed
fields, one with synonyms, one without.  Then you can qf=title^5
title_with_synonyms^1 with edismax and weight the “exacter” field higher than
one with synonyms.

—
Erik Hatcher, Senior Solutions Architect
http://www.lucidworks.com <http://www.lucidworks.com/>