Index-time synonym expansion maximizes recall (not missing any documents,
especially partial matches), but minimizes precision and relevancy - you
are unable to select or boost exact matches. Ditto for ngrams.

As Erik indicates, using edismax with separate fields for precision (exact
matches) and recall (even the most remote partial match to avoid missing
any documents) with a much higher boost for exact matches.

-- Jack Krupansky