Hi Evert,

I recently needed help with phrase highlighting and was pointed to the
FastVectorHighlighter which worked out great. I just made a change to the
configuration to add generateWordParts="0" and generateNumberParts="0" so that
searches for things like "1a" would get highlighted correctly. You may or may
not need that feature. You can always remove them or change the value to "1" to
switch them on explicitly. Anyway, hope this helps!

solrconfig.xml (partial snip)
<requestHandler name="/select" class="solr.SearchHandler">
                <lst name="defaults">
                        <str name="wt">xml</str>
                        <str name="echoParams">explicit</str>
                        <int name="rows">10</int>
                        <str name="df">documentText</str>
                        <str name="hl">on</str>
                        <str name="hl.fl">text</str>
                        <str name="hl.useFastVectorHighlighter">true</str>
                        <str name="hl.snippets">100</str>
                </lst>
</requestHandler>

schema.xml (partial snip)
   <field name="id" type="string" indexed="true" stored="true" required="true"
multiValued="false" />
   <field name="documentText" type="text_general" indexed="true"
multivalued="true" termVectors="true" termOffsets="true" termPositions="true" />

<fieldType name="text_general" class="solr.TextField"
positionIncrementGap="100">
        <analyzer type="index">
words="stopwords.txt" />
                <filter class="solr.WordDelimiterFilterFactory" catenateAll="1"
preserveOriginal="1" generateNumberParts="0" generateWordParts="0" />
                <filter class="solr.SynonymFilterFactory"
synonyms="index_synonyms.txt" ignoreCase="true" expand="true"/>
                <filter class="solr.PorterStemFilterFactory"/>
                <filter class="solr.ApostropheFilterFactory"/>
        </analyzer>
        <analyzer type="query">
                <filter class="solr.WordDelimiterFilterFactory" catenateAll="1"
preserveOriginal="1" generateWordParts="0" />
words="stopwords.txt" />
                <filter class="solr.ApostropheFilterFactory"/>
        </analyzer>
</fieldType>

-Teague