The best practice: do not ever try to catch Throwable or its descendants Error,
VirtualMachineError, OutOfMemoryError, and etc.

Never ever.

Also, do not swallow InterruptedException in a loop.

Few simple rules to avoid hanging application. If we follow these, there will
be no question "what is the best way to stop Solr when it gets in OOM” (or just
becomes irresponsive because of swallowed exceptions)

--
Fuad Efendi
416-993-2060(cell)