Hi Shawn,
I've just finished writing a batch oom killer script and it seems to work
fine.

I couldn't try it on the actual solr process since I'm a bit stumped on how
I can make solr throw an oom at will.
Although I did write another code that does throw an oom upon which this
script is called and the running solr process is killed.

I would like to know how I should proceed from here with submitting the
code for review etc.

Thanks.

On Tue, 8 Mar 2016, 00:56 Shawn Heisey, <apa...@elyograg.org> wrote:

> On 2/25/2016 2:06 PM, Fuad Efendi wrote:
> > The best practice: do not ever try to catch Throwable or its descendants
> Error, VirtualMachineError, OutOfMemoryError, and etc.
> >
> > Never ever.
> >
> > Also, do not swallow InterruptedException in a loop.
> >
> > Few simple rules to avoid hanging application. If we follow these, there
> will be no question "what is the best way to stop Solr when it gets in OOM”
> (or just becomes irresponsive because of swallowed exceptions)
>
> As I understand from SOLR-8539, if an OOM is thrown by a Java program
> and there is a properly configured OOM script, regardless of what
> happens with exception rewrapping, the script *should* kick in.  Here's
> an issue where this behavior was verified by a Jetty developer on a
> small-scale test program which catches and swallows the OOM:

> Solr 5.x, when started on Linux/UNIX systems with the included shell
> scripts, comes default with an "oom killer" script that is supposed to
> stop Solr when OOM occurs.
>
> Recently it was discovered that the OnOutOfMemoryError option in the
> start script for Linux/UNIX was being incorrectly specified on the
> command line -- it doesn't actually work.  Here's the issue for that
> problem:

> The fix for the incorrect OnOutOfMemoryError usage will be in version
> 6.0 when that version is finally released, which I think will make the
> OOM killer actually work on Linux/UNIX.  There is currently no concrete
> information on when 6.0 is expected.  If any plans for future 5.x
> versions come up, that fix will likely make it into those versions as well.
>
> There is no OOM killer script for Windows, so this feature is not
> present when running on Windows.  If somebody can come up with a way for
> Windows to find and kill the Solr process, I'd be happy to include it.
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn
>
> --
Regards,