Hi Jack,
I think we are talking about different things: I agree that boost is multiplicative, and boost values less than zero will reduce score, but if you use such boost value in bq, it will still bust documents that are matching it. Simplest example is with ids. If you query:
  q=id:a OR id:b
both doc a and b will have same score. If you boost a^2 it will be first, if you boost a^0.1 it will be second. But if you use dismax's bq=id:a^0.1 it will be first. In such case you have to use negative boost to make sure it is last.

Are we on the same page now?

Regards,
Emir