On Thursday, March 17, 2016 7:58 PM, wun...@wunderwood.org wrote:

> Think about using popularity as a boost. If one movie has a million rentals
> and one has a hundred rentals, there is no additive formula that balances
> that with text relevance. Even with log(popularity), it doesn't work.

I'm not sure I follow your logic now. If one can express the popularity as a
value between 0.0 and 1.0, why can't one use that, together with a weight
(indicating how much the popularity should influence the score, in general) and
add that to the text relevance score? And how, exactly, would I achieve that
using any multiplicative formula?

The logic of the weight, in this case, is that I want to be able to tweak how
much influence the popularity has on the final score (and thus the sort order
of the documents), where a weight of 0.0 would have the same effect as if the
popularity wasn't included in the boost logic at all, and a high enough weight
would have the same effect as if one sorted the documents solely on popularity.

/Jimi