On Friday, March 18, 2016 4:25 PM, wun...@wunderwood.org wrote:

> That works fine if you have a query that matches things with a wide range of
> popularities. But that is the easy case.
>
> What about the query "twilight", which matches all the Twilight movies, all
> of which are popular (millions of views).

Well, like I said, I focused on our use case. And we deal with articles, not
movies. And the raw popularity value is basically just "the number of page
views the last N days". We want to boost documents that many people have
visited recently, but don't really care about the exact search result position
when comparing documents with roughly the same popularity. So if all the
matched documents have *roughly* the same popularity, then we basically don't
want the popularity to influence the score much at all.

> Or "Lord of the Rings" which only matches movies with hundreds of views?
> People really will notice when
> the 1978 animated version shows up before the Peter Jackson films.

Well, doesn't the Peter Jackson "Lord of the Rings" films have more than just a
few hundred views?

/Jimi