On Friday, March 18, 2016 5:11 PM, wun...@wunderwood.org wrote:

> I used a popularity score based on the DVD being in people's queues and the
> streaming views.
> The Peter Jackson films were DVD only. They were in about 100 subscriber
> queues.
> The first Twilight film was in 1.25 million queues.
> Now think about the query "twilight zone". How do you make "Twilight" not be
> the first hit for that?

1. Maybe your popularity value should include more types of "views", maybe both
Netflix-internal (like total dvd rental, the last X days back, or since
forever), and netflix-external (like total number of movie-tickets sold,
worldwide or in the same country).
2. Shouldn't the word "zone" exclude the twilight movies altogether, or at
least boost the results with that word in the title?
3. Maybe the popularity has a too much of influence on the score?
4. I never said my reasoning about normalizing popularity was applicable to
your use case. On the contrary, like I said before, I focused on our own use
case.

/Jimi