On 3/22/2016 11:16 AM, Robert Brown wrote:
> Thanks Erick and Shawn, a "collection" is indeed what I meant.
>
> I was under the impression the entire Tree view in the admin GUI was
> showing everything in ZK, including things like
> "collections/name/state.json", not just the /configs directory.
>
> The solr.xml file is too isn't it? (I added it to ZK as per the docs),
> just a bit confusing to see some files/directories from ZK, and some not.

Info you may already know:  When you create a new collection using the
Collections API, you can give it the name of an existing config with the
collections.configName parameter.  Changes to that config will affect
all collections using it.  You'll usually need to reload the collection
so it re-reads the config from zookeeper.

The "Tree" view does show you the entire zookeeper database from Solr's
point of view.  This is the common information available to every Solr
server in your entire cloud.  It contains information about every
collection, all of your uploaded configs, and a few other things.

SolrCloud still requires a fair amount of information at the core level
that isn't stored in zookeeper.  The index is too big, and we haven't
gotten around to the rest of it.  We do want to get to the point where
everything relevant for a SolrCloud core (except the Lucene index) is
stored in zookeeper -- for internal discussions, we call this "ZK as truth":

Shawn