> Is this all expected behaviour?
Yes. As Since each Solr node has access to the entire state, an
arbitrary Solr node can figure out where to forward a request for some
collection it doesn't host.

>Is there any performance gain with what I have at this precise stage?  The
>extra server certainly makes it appear i could balance more load/requests, but
>I guess the queries are just being forwarded on to the servers with the actual
>data?

Not really. The work of searching is done by the Solr nodes hosting
the collection.

Am I correct in thinking I can now create a new collection on this
host, and begin to build up a new cluster?  and they won't interfere
with each other at all?
Yes

Also, that I'll be able to see both collections when using the admin
UI Cloud page on any of the servers in either collection?
Yes