Both of these are anit-patterns. The soft commit interval of 1 second
is usually far too aggressive. And committing after every add is
also something to avoid.

Your original problem statement is high CPU usage. To see if your
committing is the culprit, I'd stop committing at all after adding and
make the soft commit interval, say, 60 seconds. And keep the
hard commit interval whatever it is not but make sure openSearcher is
set to false.

That should pinpoint whether the CPU usage is just because of your
committing. From there you can figure out the right balance...

If that's _not_ the source of your CPU usage, then at least you'll have
eliminated it as a potential problem.

Best,
Erick