I have the following (essentially hard-coded) line in the Solr Admin Query
UI

=====
bq: contentType:(searchTerm1 searchTerm2 searchTerm2)^1000
=====

The "searchTerm" entries represent whatever the user typed into the search
box.  This can be one or more words.  Usually less than 5.

I want to put the search parameters I've built in the Admin UI into a
requestHandler.

I think that means I need a like like this in the searchHandler in
solrconfig.xml

=====
<str name="bq">contentType:(magic_reference_to_incoming_search)^1000</str>
-->
=====

Am I oversimplifying?

How can I accurately reference the incoming search terms as a "variable" or
parameter in the requestHandler XML?

Is it as simple as $q?  Something more complex?

Is there any choice besides the somewhat arcane local params?  If not, what
is the simplest, most straightforward way to reference incoming query terms
using local params?

Thanks...