OK - that's interesting.  Perhaps I'm thinking too much like a developer
and just want to be able to reach into context and grab anything any time I
want...  Thanks for the input...

=====

To clarify, I want to boost the document's score if the user enters a term
found in the contentType field.

As an example, the term "figo" is one of a few that are stored in the
contentType field.  It's not a multivalued field - one entry per document.

If a user types in "foobarbaz figo" I want all documents with "figo" in the
contentType field boosted above every other document in the results.  The
order of docs can be determined by the other scores - my user's rule is
simply that any with "figo" in contentType should be appear above any which
do NOT have "figo" in that field.

I can't know when the users will type any of the "magic" contentType terms
into the search, so I think I have to run the search every time against the
contentType field.

So - that's my underlying use case - and as I say, I'm beginning to think
the edismax setting of qf= text contentType^1000 answers my need really
well -- and is easier.  A quick test looks like I'm getting the results I
expect...