I am using Apache Nutch v1.10 and SOLR v.5.2.1 to index and search a medical
website and am trying to find out why every stemmer I've tried on certain nouns
in medical terminology ending in 'y' merely replaces the ending 'y' with an
'I'.  As example, the term 'osteopathy' stemmed with the Porter Stemmer Filter
stems to 'osteopathi', which will match 'osteopath' and 'osteopathic', but will
not match the original term 'osteopathy' itself.  I've seen this with quite a
few medical and science nouns ending in 'y'  (though, oddly enough, the word
'terminology' itself stems to 'terminolog' just as I would expect it to) and am
wondering whether there is a different stemmer I should be using, or if I am
just using this one incorrectly.  I am currently applying the
PorterStemFilterFactory to a field of type 'text' in both the indexing and
querying analyzers.  Any comments, suggestions or explanations would be much
appreciated.

--
Mark F. Vega
Programmer/Analyst