So we still can't get this to work, here's the latest update my server guy
gave me: It seems to not matter where the file is located, it does not
load. Yet, the the Solr Java class path shows the file has loaded.  Only
this path (./server/lib/hon-lucene-synonyms-2.0.0.jar) will work in that it
loads in the java class path.  I've yet to find out what the error is. All
I can see is this "Error loading class". Okay, but why? What error was
encountered in trying to load the class?  I can't find any of this
information. I'm trying to work with the documentation that is located here
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPlugins

I found that the jar file was put into each of these locations in an
attempt to find a place where it will load without error.

find .|grep hon-lucene

./server/lib/hon-lucene-synonyms-2.0.0.jar

./server/solr/plugins/hon-lucene-synonyms-2.0.0.jar

./server/solr/classic_newdb/lib/hon-lucene-synonyms-2.0.0.jar

./server/solr/classic_search/lib/hon-lucene-synonyms-2.0.0.jar

./server/solr-webapp/webapp/WEB-INF/lib/hon-lucene-synonyms-2.0.0.jar

 The config specifies that files in certain paths can be loaded as plugins
or I can specify a path. Following the instructions I added this path

  <lib
dir="${solr.install.dir:../../../..}/contrib/hon-lucene-synonyms/lib"
regex=".*\.jar" />

And I put the jar file in that location.  This did not work either. I also
tried using an absolute path like this.

<lib
dir="/opt/solr/contrib/hon-lucene-synonyms/lib/hon-lucene-synonyms-2.0.0.jar"
/>

This did not work.

I'm starting to think this isn't a configuration problem, but a
compatibility problem. I have not seen anything from the maker of this
plugin that it works on the exact version of Solr we are using.

The best info I have found so far in the logs is this stack trace of the
error. It still does not say why it failed to load.

2016-06-01 00:22:13.470 ERROR (qtp2096057945-14) [   ] o.a.s.s.HttpSolrCall
null:org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: SolrCore 'classic_search' is not
available due to init failure: Error loading class
'com.github.healthonnet.search.Syno

nymExpandingExtendedDismaxQParserPlugin'

        at
org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer.getCore(CoreContainer.java:993)

        at org.apache.solr.servlet.HttpSolrCall.init(HttpSolrCall.java:249)

        at org.apache.solr.servlet.HttpSolrCall.call(HttpSolrCall.java:411)

        at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:222)

        at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:181)

        at
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1652)

        at
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:585)

        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143)

        at
org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:577)

        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:223)

        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1127)

        at
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:515)

        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:185)

        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1061)

        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)

        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:215)

        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:110)

        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:97)

        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:310)

        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:257)

        at
org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$2.run(AbstractConnection.java:540)

        at
org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:635)

        at
org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:555)

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Caused by: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error loading class
'com.github.healthonnet.search.SynonymExpandingExtendedDismaxQParserPlugin'

        at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.<init>(SolrCore.java:824)

        at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.<init>(SolrCore.java:665)

        at org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer.create(CoreContainer.java:742)

        at org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer$1.call(CoreContainer.java:462)

        at org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer$1.call(CoreContainer.java:453)

        at
org.apache.solr.common.util.ExecutorUtil$MDCAwareThreadPoolExecutor$1.run(ExecutorUtil.java:232)

        at

        at

        ... 1 more

Caused by: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error loading class
'com.github.healthonnet.search.SynonymExpandingExtendedDismaxQParserPlugin'

        at
org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader.findClass(SolrResourceLoader.java:559)

        at
org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader.findClass(SolrResourceLoader.java:490)

        at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.createInstance(SolrCore.java:573)

        at org.apache.solr.core.PluginBag.createPlugin(PluginBag.java:123)

        at org.apache.solr.core.PluginBag.init(PluginBag.java:223)

        at org.apache.solr.core.PluginBag.init(PluginBag.java:212)

        at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.<init>(SolrCore.java:768)

        ... 9 more

com.github.healthonnet.search.SynonymExpandingExtendedDismaxQParserPlugin

        at java.net.FactoryURLClassLoader.loadClass(URLClassLoader.java:814)

        at
org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader.findClass(SolrResourceLoader.java:543)

        ... 15 more

So we're giving up on this one, unless someone knows for sure it will work
on standalone Solr installs on 5.4+. Because as far as we can tell, it
simply doesn't work.

Mary Jo