I am not saying that  fq parameter does not work with dismax.
I am saying that the way this query is written it wont work because the
dismax query handler would parse "type:idea" to a value "type idea" (without
the colon) which changes the query. This would be a problem whether you use
it in the main query or filter query.

This standard search handler wont parse it this way and hence you would get
different results depending on the handler used.

--
Regards,
Chris