My bet:
the fields (look in managed_schema or, possibly schema.xml)
has stored="true" and indexed="false" set for the fields
in question.

Pretty much everyone takes a few passes before this really
makes sense. "stored" means you see the results returned,
"indexed" must be true before you can search on something.

Second possibility: You've somehow indexed fields as
"string" type rather than one of the text based fieldTypes.
"string" types are not tokenized, thus a field with
"My dog has fleas" will fail to find "My". It'll even not match
"my dog has fleas" (note capital "M").

The admin UI>>select core>>analysis page will show you
lots of this kind of detail, although I admit it takes a bit to
understand all the info (do un-check the "verbose" button
for the nonce).

Now, all that aside, please show us the field definition for
one of the fields in question and, as John mentions, the exact
query (I'd also ass &debugQuery=true to the results).

Saying you followed the exact instructions somewhere isn't
really helpful. It's likely that there's something innocent-seeming
that was done differently. Giving the information asked for
will help us diagnose what's happening and, perhaps,
improve the docs if we can understand the mis-match.

Best,
Erick