On 10/24/2016 4:27 PM, Susheel Kumar wrote:
> I am seeing OOM script killed solr (solr 6.0.0) on couple of our VM's
> today. So far our solr cluster has been running fine but suddenly today
> many of the VM's Solr instance got killed. I had 8G of heap allocated on 64
> GB machines with 20+ GB of index size on each shards.
>
> What could be looked to find the exact root cause. I am suspecting of any
> query (wildcard prefix query etc.) might have caused this issue.  The
> ingestion and query load looks normal as other days.  I have the solr GC
> logs as well.

It is unlikely that you will be able to figure out exactly what is using
too much memory from Solr logs.  The place where the OOM happens may be
completely unrelated to the parts of the system that are using large
amounts of memory.  That point is just the place where Java ran out of
memory to allocate, which could happen when allocating a tiny amount of
memory just as easily as it could happen when allocating a large amount
of memory.

What I can tell you has been placed on this wiki page:

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPerformanceProblems#Java_Heap

Thanks,
Shawn