On Tue, 2016-10-25 at 15:04 -0400, Susheel Kumar wrote:
> Thanks, Toke.  Analyzing GC logs helped to determine that it was a
> sudden
> death.

> The peaks in last 20 mins... See   http://tinypic.com/r/n2zonb/9

Peaks yes, but there is a pattern of

1) Stable memory use
2) Temporary doubling of the memory used and a lot of GC
3) Increased (relative to last stable period) but stable memory use
4) Goto 2

Should I guess, I would say that you are running ingests in batches,
which temporarily causes 2 searchers to be open at the same time. That
is 2 in the list above. After the batch ingest, the baseline moves up,
assumedly because your have added quite a lot of documents, relative to
the overall number of documents.

The temporary doubling of the baseline is hard to avoid, but I am
surprised of the amount of heap that you need in the stable periods.
Just to be clear: This is from a Solr with 8GB of heap handling only 1
shard of 20GB and you are using DocValues? How many documents do you
have in such a shard?

- Toke Eskildsen, State and University Library, Denmark