We run both, and we are running the latest versions for both.  There are
different use cases for each one.  Where we are using solrcloud, it only has to
operate in one datacenter, and sharding is incredibly important because we have
billions and billions of documents.  In a separate group of servers, we use
master/slave in a cascade that runs through multiple datacenters, has
relatively small indexes that don't really need to be sharded, and we need to
be able to add and remove servers at a moment's notice, which really is not
that simple to do with SolrCloud.

I wouldn't assume that people who are using replication are all stuck in the
past and not using the cloud version out of some luddite aversion to software
upgrades.  SolrCloud's feature set doesn't allow for everything you can do with
replication, just as replication doesn't allow for everything you can do with
SolrCloud.  Personally, I would love it if there were some kind of hybrid model
(ie, a cloud that could replicate to another cloud), but that doesn't exist.
Even if it did though, I would probably still use vanilla replication in
certain contexts.

--
Steve

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 10:58 PM, Erick Erickson