This is interesting - that ZK is seen as adding so much complexity that it
turns people off!

If you think about it, Elasticsearch users have no choice -- except their
"ZK" is built-in, hidden, so one doesn't have to think about it, at least
not initially.

I think I saw mentions (maybe on user or dev MLs or JIRA) about
potentially, in the future, there only being SolrCloud mode (and dropping
SolrCloud name in favour of Solr).  If the above comment from Charlie about
complexity is really true for Solr users, and if that's the reason why we
see so few people running SolrCloud today, perhaps that's a good signal for
Solr development/priorities in terms of ZK
hiding/automating/embedding/something...

Otis