I started with the same three-node 15-shard configuration I’d been used to, in
an RF1 cluster. (the index is almost 700G so this takes three r4.8xlarge’s if I
want to be entirely memory-resident) I eventually dropped down to a 1/3rd size
index on a single node (so 5 shards, 100M docs each) so I could test
configurations more quickly. The system time usage was present on all solr
nodes regardless. I adjusted for a difference in the CPU count on the EC2 nodes
when I picked my load testing rates.

Zookeeper is a separate cluster on separate nodes. It is NOT collocated with
Solr, although it’s dedicated exclusively to Solr’s use.

I specify a timeout on all queries, and as mentioned, use SOLR-4449. So there’s
possibly an argument I’m doing a lot more timing related calls than most.
There’s nothing particularly exotic there though, just another Executor
Service, and you’ll never get a backup request on an RF1 cluster because
there’s no alternate to try.