I remember seeing some performance impact (even when not using it) and it
was attributed to the calls to System.nanoTime. See SOLR-7875 and SOLR-7876
(fixed for 5.3 and 5.4). Those two Jiras fix the impact when timeAllowed is
not used, but I don't know if there were more changes to improve the
performance of the feature itself. The problem was that System.nanoTime may
be called too many times on indices with many different terms. If this is
the problem Jeff is seeing, a small degradation of System.nanoTime could
have a big impact.

Tomás