I would name your solution more a work around as any similar solution of this
kind.
The issue SOLR-6027 is now 3 years open and the world has changed.
Instead of racks full of blades where you had many dedicated bare metal servers
you have now huge machines with 256GB RAM and many CPUs. Virtualization has
taken place.
To get under these conditions some independance from the physical hardware you
have
to spread the shards across several physical machines with virtual servers.
>From my point of view it is a good solution to have 5 virtual 64GB servers
on 5 different huge physical machines and start 2 instances on each virtual
server.
If I would split up each 64GB virtual server into two 32GB virtual server there
would
be no gain. We don't have 10 huge machines (no security win) and we have to
admin
and control 10 virtual servers instead of 5 (plus zookeeper servers).

It is state of the art that you don't have to care about the servers within
the cloud. This is the main sense of a cloud.
The leader should always be aware who are the members of his cloud, how to reach
them (IP address) and how are the users of the cloud (collections) distributed
across the cloud.

It would be great if a solution of issue SOLR-6027 would lead to some kind of
"automatic mode" for server distribution, without any special configuring.

Regards,
Bernd